Once again with a trip north to see my granddaughters pending, I found myself making a new carry on bag. The first one I made, while smaller than the maximum size allowed on the train, is just too awkward to carry with my other luggage. But it works well to carry big quilts that I'm working on or several quilts at a time for show and tell at quilt guild, so the effort was not wasted.
The next one I made - Hmmm, I can't seem to find a photo of it on the blog. Guess I'd better go and take one.
This one is a pretty handy size, especially if I'm taking things to leave in Maine. The girls like the cats. It works nicely on the train and is fairly easy to manage when I'm carrying all my luggage, but it takes up quite a bit of my foot room on the bus between Boston and Maine. I had a lot of fun making this one using my previous experience. I added two pockets on the sides for water bottles and the elastic to the pockets on the front to keep everything inside.
But the ideal size for all of the trip was this one.
My parents received several of these on their cruises over the years. But they are vinyl and eventually they tear, as you can see this handle did on my last trip.
So, I decided it was time to make one more new carry on bag, just like this black one. And, as long as I was going to make it, it might as well be fun.
Of course, it wouldn't be my if I didn't make a few changes. So, I added the side pockets for water bottles, a second pocket like the one on the front for the back, made it just the tiniest bit bigger, and added D rings and straps to allow me to attach a sweater or pillow across the zipper area.
With any luck, this will be the final carry on bag that I make. For a while anyway.